Friday, August 05, 2005

Race Fever: When in Rome... with all the racing fanatics in town, we really felt the need for speed...



After working these last four days in a row, I was exhausted. Kim managed to drag me out to get my hair cut because I am looking quite scraggly.

Well, as Kim was getting her hair cut, her hairstylist was complaining that she had tickets to tonight's race but couldn't go. Well it just so happened that she had two tickets available and we jumped on it.

I was so tired, but Kim made me a Chai to go and we headed out on the road. We found parking and the race had already started. It was the small truck racing tonight and our seats were right on the side corner where the sharp turns happen right before the acceleration.

As we stepped out right next to the track, the exhilaration of being so close to the trucks was amazing! The racers sped by at top speed and took my fatigue right with them. After buying some wonderful multi-colored ear plugs, we found seats right up close and could see the trucks move by and accelerate. Since they are so light in the tail, a lot of them would fish tail and one almost wiped out. Fortunately he made it through to the cheers of the crowd.




46, a Chevy truck, (I might add!) was in the lead all the time we were there! 50 almost got by, but got a flat and hit the wall. For awhile I could hear Kim speak as the trucks moved slowly (on the yellow flag) as they waited for the clearance to accelerate.

46 won to the applause of the crowd as he spun brodies and fishtailed down the track. Smoke billowed over the crowds as we hooped and hollered and he stuck his thumb up at us. Our very first paved track race. What fun!

No comments: