Sunday, August 21, 2005

Kim and Suzi decided tonight to visit the War Memorial in downtown Indy. They left us in the truck the whole time.. harrumph... Sam spent a large amount of the time barking at the horse drawn carriages, while I kept my eye on my people... I personally don't get it. Noise and concrete... no tall grass to sniff... at least they took us to our field afterwards... Here is some of what they wanted to see:



One night, after work, Kim said 'I'm taking you a different way.'



I was so shocked to see an incredibly carved monument with larger than life statues and detail that needed much time to take in its entirety.



Well, tonight the air was cool and we made our pilgrimage to the War Memorial that rests in the heart of Indy.



The monument was constructed in the late 1800's and being there, reminds me of walking through Europe, with the painstakingly detailed statues and mist floating in the air from the waterfalls.



We walked around the monument, and admired every angle of the carvings. They all commemorated the soldiers who had died in the wars since the early 1800's.





(above) One side actually shows two dead soldiers lying on the ground, and I have to admit that is the eeriest of all the sculptures. A hand and foot hangs just over the stones and otherwise the dead faces are difficult to see.



At first I thought the eeriest part was the woman I think is the 'angel of death' that looks over the city and has become discolored over time. But up close, she is rather beautiful. On the other side of the monument, there is a theme of victory and of soldiers greeting their wives and families.




We walked around three times, admiring the different levels and views. So much detail, I don't know if anyone could take it all in with one viewing. But I'm very glad we went. You definitely feel dwarfed by the architecture.



Who would have thought this would be in the heart of Indy? It is quite a treasure to find.



The above pic is the very top of the monument The lit up area under the statue is 230ft up and it turns out you can go into it during the daytime.
For more info and better pics than I got you can go to:
http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/kade/soldiers.html

No comments: